Skip to main content

Permaculture - Produce no waste

Its time for the next permaculture principle. In January I wrote about "Observe and Interact", in February it was "Catch and Store Energy" and March was dedicated to "Obtain a Yield", April was "Apply self-regulation", May focused on "Use renewable resources", and now in June we have “Produce no waste”.

This is one of the easiest of all the principles to understand and apply in everyday life. Reducing waste is something that many people do anyway, without any other knowledge of permaculture. I think it is partly because the amount of physical waste you produce is very obvious. You know when your bin is overflowing at the end of the week that you have produced too much waste. Producing NO waste is really the challenge, and requires some careful planning and thought.
compost!
This chapter of David Holmgren’s book is structured around the commonly used hierarchy of waste minimisation: Refuse, Reduce, Repair, Reuse and Recycle. In this post I will discuss some examples of how we have applied each level of the hierarchy and the work that remains to reach our target of producing NO waste. Also note that waste includes energy as well as physical waste.

Refuse

Plastic bags – I have a large collection ofgreen bags, fabric bags and mesh bags that I use instead of plastic bags, whenever possible, I refuse plastic bags.
Processed foods – I refuse to eat processed or takeaway food, and the associated packaging. I prepare as much as possible from food that we have grown or bought in bulk, which reduces packaging.

Reduce

As above, reducing the amount of packaging that we inadvertently purchase is the best way to reduce our waste.

Reducing consumption in general also reduces waste - see "Apply Self-regulation".

Repair

The hardest thing to repair is electronic and electrical items that are designed to fail. Things like clock radios and toasters, that are now cheap throwaway items. Everything else we attempt to repair. Pete, being a metalworker by trade, often repairs things with long-lasting metal handles, my garden trowel has a lovely stainless steel handle, but the rake has got a bit heavy since he replaced the broken handle with a solid metal rod! I tend to repair clothes until they are so worn they make it to the rag bag.

Reuse/Repurpose

I think the best example of this is from the pioneer era, when possessions were minimal and many things were repurposed. Pete and I had a habit a while back of visiting pioneer museums and one thing that really fascinated me was the creative use of the old kerosene tins, everything from drawers, washing up tubs, flour containers, food safes, containers of all description and even furniture. These days when we have something that we no longer need for its intended purpose we always try to think of something else that it may be used for instead. For example, we end up with lots of big cans from making homebrew beer. These cans are very useful as scoops for animal feed and as paint cans. We use them to store things in cupboards and to hold pens, pegs, screws, and other lose items.

My grandparents used to keep old envelopes and scraps of paper for writing lists and notes. I never understood at the time, but now I’ve started keeping paper too, I have a little box next to the computer, and whenever we receive paper which is blank of one side, I put it in the box to use later. I also hoard glass jars for storing anything and everything. And as we don’t buy much in plastic containers, they become rather rare and we hoard them too.

Waste greywater from the bath and washing machine goes onto the garden. And all toilet and kitchen waste goes to the septic system. This really makes us think about what chemicals we use before we buy them, for example, we don’t really have anywhere to wash out acrylic paint, it doesn’t belong in the garden or the septic, so its best to use water based and wash out the brushes in water that we tip on the grass instead.

Recycle

Compost is the ultimate recycling. Anything organic ends up in our compost drum, including dead chickens (I don’t want to confuse you by thinking about organic food, I just mean organic in terms of material that was once alive). One thing that is important to consider when you buy something, is how it will be recycled. I read an excellent book once called “Waste equals food”. The idea was that waste from one process should be designed to be food for another process. For example, anything that was once living can be composted and eventually produce food for more living things, this includes all vegetable matter, fabrics and yarn such as wool and cotton, any meat, bone, feathers, wood, it can all be composted eventually. Non-living things can also be recycled, usually with some input of energy to melt them down again. Materials like metal, plastic and glass can all be recycled, as long as they are not contaminated with organic material. The problem is when we mix living and non-living, such as in a cotton-polyester mix fabric, we end up with something that can neither be composted nor recycled by melting. We create something that can only be discarded when it is no longer useful and will never feed another process. This concept drives many of my purchases, or refusals to purchase when I can’t find anything that meets these requirements! Where possible, I prefer to use an organic material, that can eventually decompose, if that is not possible, then a natural material (glass or stone) is at least better than plastic made from crude oil.

Room for improvement

We certainly produce very little waste compared to other households on our street with overflowing wheelie bins. We struggle to fill our council wheelie bin every couple of weeks, we only put it out for collection so it doesn’t start to smell. As I said earlier, all our organic matter goes in the compost, and I do try to buy things that will be easily composted when I’m finished with them. Everything else gets reused and repaired until it must be recycled or discarded.

Most of the waste we produce is either plastic wrapping (as much as I try to avoid it, magazines will arrive in plastic, and we pack all our meat in plastic before we freeze it), and tissues or paper towels are another area of waste, which can at least be composted. Any item that is designed to be "disposable" is wasteful by its nature, as the energy used to produce the item is wasted after one use, no matter how it is disposed or recycled.
plastic free July

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone about Plastic free July. This is a challenge that has been running for a few years now, and I have half joined in previous years, but never really did it properly. This year I will be taking the challenge and doing it properly and reporting back in August.

From the Plastic free July website:


The Challenge
The challenge is quite simple. Attempt to consume no single-use plastic during July.

"Single-use" includes plastic shopping bags, plastic cups, straws, plastic packaging...basically anything that's intended only to be used once and then sent to landfill. If refusing ALL single-use plastic sounds too daunting this time, try the TOP 4 challenge (straws, plastic bags, plastic bottles &coffee cup lids).


The rules
Attempt to consume no single-use plastic during July.
Remember it's not going to be easy! It is a challenge, not a competition so don't worry about being perfect.
Collect any unavoidable single-use plastic you buy. Keep in a dilemma bag and share it with us at the end of the challenge.
It's up to you regarding how long you participate. You might decide to go plastic-free for a day, a week, a month or longer! However long you choose will still make a contribution.

I would like to use this as an opportunity to analyse when and why we use plastic and consider how we could reduce it further. Last year I ended up with things like a bag that we bought carrots in, and I was able to think about using a re-usable bag for carrots instead. As much as you can try to not use any plastic just for one month, the things that you learn about WHY you use plastic are just as useful.

So now I've side-tracked you with Plastic Free July (Will you join me?), don't forget to also comment on the permaculture principle!

We've been having some great discussions lately, so please tell me, how do you design to produce no waste?


Each month in 2013 I reviewed a principle from David Holmgren's Permaculture: Principles and Pathways beyond Sustainability:

Observe and Interact

Catch and Store Energy

Obtain a Yield

Apply Self-Regulation and Accept Feedback

Use and Value Renewable Resources

Produce no Waste

Design from Patterns to Details

Integrate, Rather than Segregate

Use Small and Slow Solutions

Use and Value Diversity

Use edges and value the marginal

Creatively Use and Respond to Change

Comments

  1. Another great way to reuse is second hand stuff. I have a policy of no brand new clothing (apart from underwear) unless it is something specifically requested for a job. Second hand bits and pieces also come with less packaging. Saves money too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good point Ian, we try to buy lots of second-hand too, so that's another example of re-using that I didn't think of :)

      Delete
  2. I try to use human energy whenever possible and have a variety of tools and wheelbarrows to accomplish this. For example I cut our hay with a scythe and put it up loose (not as many animals as you, only 2 steers and a horse) then when they are done with the hay, I haul the manure to the garden in a wheelbarrow and use it to grow more food. I end up handling the grass/hay many times with human energy and my fuel comes from eating the food that is fertilized by the converted grass. I just try to do things like that and not buy new things as they break and are a waste, I shop at antique shops when I need a good tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to own a scythe... it sounds like you are doing lots of good things on your farm too :)

      Delete
  3. Ah! My favourite principle! You've heard my rant about things designed to become obsolete. Makes me so angry! We're getting better each year at reducing our rubbish. And we've been talking to the kids about participating in plastic free July too. Great concept! I'm curious to try just to see how we go with it. It will be a good learning experience for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this was a passion of yours!! It will be interesting to see what you learn from Plastic Free July, I'll be looking forward to comparing notes with you.

      Delete
  4. Great idea, I wish I could think of a way to put the rubbish into the big bin without using a plastic bag. We like to take it out every evening, as we get ants, and really don't have a lot of rubbish (bin is less than half full each week) - but I still cant get away from using those supermarket bags as rubbish bin liners. any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently people used to line their bins with newspaper. We haven't tried it yet, looks like we will have to do that July (thanks for reminding me!). I buy the biodegradable bags, but its still waste... If most of your food waste goes into the compost, the bin shouldn't be too messy (or attract ants), maybe put any food waste in a smaller separate container that you can wash instead?? I'm thinking aloud here about what goes in our bin. Any other ideas? More tips here

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg