Skip to main content

How I use herbs - Oregano (or Marjoram?)

I was surprised to find that oregano was not listed in my herb books, but then I remembered that it might be under Marjoram and I found the right sections.  I have never quite understood the oregano/majoram connection, fortunately it is explained in this blog post, and now I know that I do have oregano (Origanum vulgare) in my herb garden, which is a variety of majoram.  My middle name is Marjorie, so I should know this stuff!  I understand now that marjoram varieties are all a bit different, so this post is only about growing and using oregano.


eight acres: how I grow and use Oregano


How to grow Oregano
I can't even remember where my oregano plant first came from.  It seems to be very robust and may have survived a few garden moves and periods of neglect.  I keep it in a pot as it does tend to spread.  I trim it back regularly as the stalks can get woody if the stems get too long.  Its easily propagated by root division.  It dies back after a heavy frost, but it always grows back.  It does grow better in damp but well-drained soil (don't let it dry out or get too wet), however it will grow back when conditions are favourable.  This is the first time I've ever seen it flower, and I didn't actually notice until I had trimmed it back, flowers and all!  As its a perennial, it doesn't matter that it flowers occasionally, in fact its good for the bees.  Basically this oregano plant I have is the ideal low-maintenance robust herb for my style of gardening!


eight acres: how I grow and use Oregano

How to use Oregano
I find that oregano is best dried as its much easier to crumble dried leaves than to chop fresh leaves.  I like it on mushrooms (with butter), roast potatoes, in meatballs, added to casseroles and gravies.  I put it in my herbal teas as well.

Medicinally, oregano (and marjoram) is known to aid digestion, antiseptic properties (particularly for inflammations of the mouth and respiratory conditions), relief from headaches.  It can be used as an infusion, mouthwash or tincture.

The essential oil is warming and I include it in my muscle salve (which is based on this recipe, in which I substituted oregano for vetiver, as I couldn't get vetiver).  Oregano essential oil is also useful as an antiseptic due to its high phenol content (thymol).  (Note that marjoram essential oil has a different chemical composition).

Do you grow oregano (or any marjoram varieties)?  How do you use oregano?


How I use herbs - Mint, Peppermint and Spearmint

How I use herbs - Aloe Vera

How I use herbs - Basil

How I use herbs - Ginger, galangal and turmeric

How I use herbs - Marigold, calendula and winter taragon

How I use herbs - Soapwort

How I use herbs - Comfrey

How I use herbs - Nasturtium

How I use herbs - Parsley

How I use herbs - Borage

How I use herbs - Herb Robert

How I use herbs - Purslane

How I use herbs - Chickweed

How I use herbs - Neem oil

How I use herbs - Rue, tansy and wormwood

How I use herbs - Brahmi

How I use herbs - Yarrow

How I use herbs - Arrowroot

How I use herbs - Lucerne (afalfa)

How I use herbs - Lavender

How I use herbs - Rosemary and Thyme



Comments

  1. Hi, Liz. I do grow oregano as part of a herb border on one of my garden beds. I keep it in check, as it likes to "spread out", thus I'm always trimming it which is a lovely job because it smells divine. I add fresh leaves of it to pasta sauces along with basil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg