Skip to main content

How I use herbs - Neem oil

I first discovered neem oil in 2012, and since then I have found more and more uses for it. Even though this isn’t actually a herb that I grow (yet!), but it’s a herbal product that I think you should know about, so I’m including it in this series on the herbs that I grow and use. My original post about neem oil is particularly popular at the moment and I thought it was time for an update. In that first post I had only tried neem oil in an insect repellent, but it turns out that there are many other ways to use neem. Here’s what I wrote last time about how neem works:
Unlike most chemical insecticides that kill by contact with the insect, neem oil works by disrupting the insects’ hormones, so they must ingest the neem oil to be affected. This means that it only affects insects that bite or chew, and is safe for bees and spiders (and, unfortunately, fruit flies), unless they become coated in the oil. As the neem oil affects the hormones, only small amounts are required for insecticide use (0.5–1% neem oil in a carrier). Read more here about how it works.

The repellent action of neem oil is less well understood, but appears to work (I am living proof), although its effectiveness seems to depend on the type of mosquito (see here). As far as I can find out, slightly higher concentrations (up to 10%) of neem oil are effective as an insect repellent. I think this explains why beneficial insects are not affected or repelled by the low concentrations used to kill biting insects, however, higher concentrations work to repel all insects (because I don’t want to wait for them to bite me, get sick and then die!).
Also a safety note that I need to add, neem oil does have contraceptive properties, and should be used with care by anyone who is pregnant or seeking to become pregnant. Unfortunately, at a time when you want to avoid chemicals the most, you might also want to avoid neem oil, I’ll leave you to use common sense in this regard.

eight acres: how I use neem oil
citrus leaf scale removed and repelled by neem oil

In the garden
Neem oil is effective against biting and chewing pests. Recently I have used a 5% concentration of oil in water and detergent to remove citrus leaf scale. I just sprayed on the neem oil and scrubbed the leaves with a toothbrush (this is my mini lemon and lime in pots, so they don't have many leaves). The good thing was that any insects that I missed in the physical removal would have also been affected long-term by the neem, and it repelled the ants that tend the scale insects.

We also had a mystery bug making holes in Pete’s hydroponic tomatoes. I sprayed all the formed tomatoes with the same mixture and the holes stopped. It was good to know that the spray would not affect pollinating insects, as there were plenty more flowers on the plant that still needed their attention. We just had to wash the film of neem oil off the tomatoes before we ate them, which was much nicer than washing off derris dust.

eight acres: how I use neem oil
here's that unhappy wet rooster again

In the farmyard
Recently I shared with you my success using neem oil to remove mites and lice on the chickens. I can report that all chickens I have checked lately are free from external parasites. Having previously used toxic chemicals to treat the chickens, I am very pleased to find a more natural alternative. It is more pleasant to use and I don’t have to worry about not eating the eggs afterwards.

In the house
Over summer we were constantly battling ants in the kitchen. I had tried everything, chemical and non-chemical, short of calling in pest controllers. Finally I had a brainwave and sprayed all the benchtops with neem oil with the same mixture as above (I find this is a general purpose concentration). I had to repeat this over a week or so, and eventually the ants disappeared. I dont't know if this worked due to either the repellent effect or I have actually killed the nest, either way, they are gone and I am happy.

On the people
I have been using the neem-based insect repellent that I mentioned in the previous post, and its great, it really seems to work in most conditions, and although it does smell strong, its no worse than chemical insect repellent. I am thinking about making my own version with some added beeswax for a thicker mixture, as the oil does tend to leak out of bottles, although so far it has washed out of all the clothes I have split it on (there have been a few incidents).

eight acres: how I use neem oil
my gross nail fungus is completely gone after using neem oil

The other application I have found is treating a nasty nail fungus. I had denied the problem for so long, that it had covered half my big toe nail before I did anything. After some research, I found out that neem oil was a treatment option, which I preferred to buying a medicated cream, so I covered my toe nail in pure neem oil every night for 6 weeks. I could clearly see the improvement after this time, and 6 months later the damaged nail has nearly grown out completely, leaving healthy nail behind (wow nails grow slowly!).

As you can imagine, a neem tree is very high on my list of herb trees to plant in our new garden. It is an amazingly useful and I keep finding more uses.  Now anytime I have a problem with an insect I think of neem oil.  What do you think?  Have you used neem oil successfully?



By the way, my chicken eBook is now available if you want to know more about backyard chickens and using chicken tractors.  More information over at the chicken tractor ebook blog.  Or you can get it directly from my shop on Etsy (.pdf format), or Amazon Kindle or just send me an email eight.acres.liz {at} gmail.com.




What's the eBook about?
Chickens in a confined coop can end up living in an unpleasant dust-bowl, but allowing chickens to free-range can result in chickens getting into gardens and expose them to predators.

 A movable cage or “chicken tractor” is the best of both options – the chickens are safe, have access to clean grass, fresh air and bugs. Feed costs are reduced, chickens are happier, and egg production increases. 

 But how do you build a chicken tractor? What aspects should be considered in designing and using a chicken tractor effectively? In this eBook I aim to explain how to make a chicken tractor work for you in your environment to meet your goals for keeping chickens. 

I also list what I have learnt over 10 years of keeping chickens in tractors of various designs and sizes, from hatching chicks, through to butchering roosters.


Reviews of the Design and Use a Chicken Tractor





Comments

  1. WOW, somehow I've never heard of Neem oil before!
    I shall be reading up on it after this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Liz we do not use it but it has been on the list of things to try for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,
    I must admit that I too had never heard of neem oil either and will have to do some research.. I found this quite interesting.
    Hope you are getting some rain up your way. Cheers Jane. :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz! I love neem oil too! It is quite stinky but it is awesome for so many things! I also have some body and face lotion made with the addition of neem oil and it does wonderful things for moisturizing the skin! I found it at my local health food store. The maker added a lovely orange scent to the moisturizer so it helps to minimalize the neem oil scent. I want to try to come up with my own recipe for the moisturize because it is quite expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Just added you to my follow list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg