Skip to main content

Garden Share - April 2015

March was our last chance to get some decent rain and we did get around 100 mm altogether at Kumbia, but only about 30 mm at Nanango (where the garden is!).  So we have full dams at Cheslyn Rise, but Eight Acres is looking a little dry as we move into winter.  We had some very hot days in March as well, but it seems to be cooling down now.



The chokos have really got started properly now, and I have had to bring bags of them into work just to get rid of them.  Cheryl the dog likes them, and the chickens and cattle will eat them if you cut them in half.  I also seem to have done something right with the rosellas this year, as I'm harvesting plenty to dry for tea.  I'm still harvesting the celery I planted over a year ago (I don't worry about blanching it, I just pick the larger stems), a few tromboncinos, lettuce and warrigal greens.  I pulled out all the bean plants but one.  And there are plenty of herbs growing too.  We are waiting impatiently for the hydroponic tomatoes to ripen.

In March I pulled out plants that were finished and tidied up with plenty of old hay as mulch.  I also emptied castings from one of my worm farms onto the garden.  I scattered out some seeds - mainly brassicas, lettuce and a few herbs, which are now starting to sprout.  This month I will start peas and broad beans - inside away from the mice) and I hope we will harvest some tomatoes.




this is the temperature on our veranda on the last weekend in March

garden  - perennial leeks, lettuce etc

garden - some basil still going and galangal in the background

the first brassica shoots

the sweet potato and warrigal greens tangle

my "perennial" celery (its been growing for over a year)

My herb garden after a prune

tromboncino and rosella

some of the choko vine (it is taking over the garden), and strawberries in pots

waiting for hydroponic tomatoes

How was March in your garden?  What are your plans for April?






Comments

  1. nothign much harvested last month, just parsnips, leeks and stored squash! what are the little red things in the basket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev, they are rosellas! AKA roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa). I'll write more about them soon...

      Delete
  2. It's nice to read that you have an abundance of choko's. Mine didn't do that well this season. However the passionfruit have been fruiting really well. Now that the weather is cooling down a bit (it usually doesn't cool down til after Easter) I am planning on planting Zucchini, Tomatoes and some strawberry runners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love passionfruit, but they don't survive our frost at the moment (need to work on micro-climate). Enjoy your tomatoes and zucchinis!

      Delete
  3. My chokos were rubbish this year but that's ok. Warrigal greens have there own bed here and if there's nothing else in the garden, you can rely on them for something green to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be interested to hear what you think of the taste of your hydroponic tomatoes. I had some tomatoes from a friend who really gives their toms a good watering daily and they were a little tasteless mind you it could of been the variety too. Glad that you have had some rain. My folks had 42 in that last heat wave at Inverlaw, just crazy but I am glad that we are finally getting a break from the heat and the cool air has come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have so much growing in your garden. Interesting to hear that the chickens would eat the chokos. I didn't know you could grow perennial leeks. Love the brassica seedling and all the wonderful mulch. I'm so looking forward to using my worm castings - wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg