Skip to main content

Plastic rainwater tanks - neutralising drinking water

I realised that the rainwater in our new plastic water tanks was acidic when I wanted to test our garden soil pH and I couldn't get the pH meter to work properly.  I thought it was broken.  I recalibrated it several times, and still it was reading below pH 5 on water from the tap.  After some research, I realised that the pH meter wasn't broken, our rainwater really is that acidic.

the water before treatment
You've probably heard of acid rain.  Rain absorbs gases such as suphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which creates sulphuric, nitric and carbonic acids respectively.  In concrete water tanks, the acid dissolves the lime in the cement and returns the water pH to neutral (7), but that's why concrete tanks usually end up leaking.  Evidently a similar reaction occurs in rusty metal tanks, probably with the iron, as our water used to be pH 7 in the old tanks.  In plastic tanks, there is nothing to react, so the water remains acidic.  We live near a power station, which is a major source of these gases, so our water may be worse than others, although apparently it can be as low as pH 3 in heavily polluted areas.

The main problem with acidic water, is that it can start to dissolve the copper pipework in our hot water system.  To correct the pH, we needed to add some calcium to neutralise the acid.  This is typically in the form of limestone or shells, that can dissolve gradually to correct the pH.  When I posted this on facebook, I was warned about too much calcium causing deposition in our hot water system!  When did rainwater get so complicated?!  Fortunately, we have the pH meter and a conductivity meter (measures dissolved solids), so we can monitor the water and remove the calcium source before it could cause problems.

If you are really worried about calcium deposition, you can use the Langelier Index.  This says that deposition occurs at a pH equal to the equation A+B-C-D, the constants are in the link above.  A is a constant for temperature (around 2), B depends on total dissolved solids (TDS is 0 in rainwater, so B=9.7), C and D are also the minimum of 1 for rainwater.  That gives me an answer of pH 10.  So as long as we keep the water below pH 10 we won't have calcium deposition.  This did make me realise that we need to be able to remove the limestone when the pH is just above 7, so it doesn't keep creeping up.

It took me a little while to find limestone.  Eventually I went to the local landscape supplies centre and asked for a few scoops of "white rock" which I was pretty sure was limstone.  To check if I bought the right rock, first I sprayed a rock with vinegar, and it bubbled, probably limestone.  Then I put a bag of the stones in a bucket of our water and tested the pH before and after 24 hours.  The pH changed from 4.9 to 9.7.  So I was pretty convinced that I had limestone.  You can use these tests to check if you can't be sure what you're buying.

"white rock" from landscape supplies
the rock fizzed when I sprayed it with vinegar

The water pH increased quickly after I added some limestone
I then put some stones in onion bags, tied them up with bailing twine.  Pete helped me to hang one in each tank.  Pete then tested the pH of the water each day and watched it gradually increase.  We agreed that we would remove the bags when the pH reached 7, as there was no reason to let it increase any further.  Three weeks later, the pH is gradually increasing, but still not quite 7 yet.  When we get there, we plant to put the bags in the strainer so that the rainwater washes over the limestone as it runs into the tanks.  We will continue to test pH after big rain events and put the bags back in the tanks if it gets low again.

Do you collect rainwater?  Ever thought to test the pH? 

Comments

  1. This is really interesting. We have to large concrete tanks, both with weeping splits and we would not have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having moved from a hard water area were everything furrs up with limescale deposits to a soft water area were there is very little lime I notice the differance in the taste of water, I havent tested the soil or water here yet havent found my meter, at the moment I am happy to be limescale free. Interesting stuff thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ingenius! You've come up with such a simple solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz, this is a great article. I'm wondering how the setup is going ? Are you still putting lime in the leaf catchers ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow got me thinking to use this idea. Thank you so clever yet simple!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg