Skip to main content

Healing herbal salve

I have been using a beeswax salve that I bought at a market years ago and finally I can see the bottom of the jar, so I thought I’d better figure out how to make some more. I use the salve mostly as lip balm, but its also good for any other dry skin, so I use a little bit nearly every day, even so, it seems to have lasted forever. Unfortunately as the label on the jar is now so worn it is unreadable, I don’t know exactly what the original ingredients were. I bought it from a honey stall, so I know it contained beeswax, and possibly honey, and it smells like lavender... there are plenty of recipes on the internet though.

My healing herbal salve
I have also been reading about herbs and using infused oils, so I decided to combine an infused oil with beeswax and essential oils to make myself a new salve. There are lots of beneficial herbs that can be infused in oil, but I didn’t have a huge amount to choose from in my own garden due to the ongoing drought at the time. In some ways that is a good thing, because I could never have decided which to use!

Here's my old salve, not much left...
From my garden I picked some comfrey leaf, borage leaf, yarrow leaf, and I used some calendula petals that I had dried earlier in the year. I was very surprised by the lack of chickweed in my garden, usually there is some growing, but I could only find a few plants to use (after the rain it is growing everywhere again). I would have loved to use plantain and chamomile, but I don’t have them growing (yet!). I picked the herbs, rinsed them and then let them wilt overnight before I put them in a jar and poured in enough olive oil to cover the herbs. If you don’t have beneficial herbs growing, you can buy dried herbs (in Australia try All Rare Herbs) and you should look at planting a few of them as well for future use.

The wilted herbs in the olive oil on day 1
After four weeks of infusing, I strained the herbs out of the oil and measured out how much oil I had made, so that I could work out how much beeswax to use following the ratio that Tanya suggested on her blog – 1g beeswax for every 10 mL of oil.

The herbs and oil after 6 weeks, nice and murky huh
I usually buy chunks of beeswax whenever I see it at markets, as its so useful. I also bought a beeswax and lavender leather polish from the same stall that the salve came from, and I use that on my leather boots. Its good for furniture polish too, but we don’t really have any nice furniture to polish :)

I had made about 100 mL of infused oil, so I added a little over 10 g of grated beeswax (I wanted to make sure it was solid). By the way, beeswax is not exactly easy to grate or to clean off the grater! I grated some extra while I was there, so I won’t have to do it again for a while. I heated the oil and beeswax in a small pot in a double-boiler. It took a several minutes of stirring for the beeswax to dissolve, and then suddenly the mixture was very runny, I thought it would never set. I took it off the heat to cool before I added a few of drops of lavender essential oil and a couple of vitamin E capsules for preservative (an antioxidant for the oil rather than an antimicrobial more here). As it cooled, it thickened very quickly and I had to put the pot back in the hot water to stir in the extra ingredients and pour the mixture into two little jars.

The strained infused olive oil and some lavender essential oil
Plenty of grated beeswax
melting the beeswax in the oil over a double boiler
Compared to my original salve, this one is very green (so the infusion must have worked) and has a different smell, I’m not sure which herb has contributed, but it is rather pungent! I was surprised by how easy it was to make quite a large amount, I expect these two jars of salve to last for ages. Actually that’s a little disappointing because I’d like to make more!

What do you think?  Have you made salve?  Do you want to?  Its easy!

Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
From the Farm Blog Hop
The HomeAcre Hop

Comments

  1. Actually yes I was thinking just the other day I wanted to make more salve or oil .
    I have a lot of lavender this year .
    i love the beeswax . Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely idea to make your own. My friend always makes me a salve like this and it is our go to remedy for everything! ( I even put a bit on our horse where he had an itch today!)
    We have found since using the salve we never really buy anything 'medicated' and it really works.
    I am interested in the chickweed you mentioned, is it good for the skin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous! I used to make my own. I really should start again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some with comfrey a while back, and it is great for rubbing into my aching back after gardening. That might be what turned yours green. I actually put the leaves and oil into the crockpot on low for a few hours, then fished out the leaves and added the beeswax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Looks amazing! I also buy beeswax in large chunks and hate grating it! I started doing this http://www.cultivatenourishing.com/?p=321

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm putting my money in the smell coming from the Comfrey :) well done Liz and thanks for sharing your recipe and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for my sisters and friends for Mother's day. I did not use an infusion like you which I think is a super idea. One idea I have that you may be able to do this time of year is adding jewel weed which is supposed to treat and/or prevent poison ivy. I tried the extract but it doesn't mix with the oils. I have seen where some people actually add the sap from the plant itself and put it in their salve. I'd love to try this. Do you have jewel weed in Australia? The scientific name is impatiens capensis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg