Skip to main content

My winter garden plan

As summer draws to a close here in Queensland, Australia, its time to reflect on what worked and what didn't, and start to plan for winter planting.

This summer the successes were:



  • Cherry tomatoes - the random compost sprouting tomatoes provided enough for salads, but it would have been nice to have more of them to freeze


  • Beans - this year I managed to protect my green beans from cattle (although Bella took an early interest) and even though the chickens launched a late attack on anything that came over their side of the fence, I managed to harvest a decent amount for eating and freezing - 3 climbing plants and 3 bush plants were sufficient. 

  • Potatoes - I planted most of them in a drum and the leftovers in the garden.  Ironically it was the leftovers that did really well, I think the drum ones got too hot.   

  • Basil - last year it grew to one meter before I noticed, this year I pinched off all the growth tips every few days and produced a lovely little bush of basil :)
  • Mini capsicums - one plant survived the frost and is thriving, although I can't take any credit, I just cut it back and left it alone!
  • Spring onions - always a winner!  
  • Herbs - all except the mints did well, think it got too hot and dry, they look miserable, but still alive.
  • Radishes - first time I've grown these and they did well until we had some very hot days.
  • Lettuce - did well until I tried to plant some seedlings on a hot HOT day and they all died.
  • Button squash - I did have some blossom end rot issues and could have done with some more squashes for the freezer.
  
  • Pickling cucumbers - 3 vines was plenty!  8 jars of pickles in the fridge and more that I gave away already. 

  • Shade - beans, arrowroot and pawpaw plants provided shade on all sides and the shade cloth provided shade up above, I think this saved some of the more delicate veges on the hottest summer days.
beans shading one end of the garden

arrowroot shading another side
and pawpaws shading the other end
The failures were:
  • Corn - started too late as I didn't have viable seed and then got swamped by my companion planted squash!   

  • Zuchinnis - after yielding only 2-3 zuchinnis the 4 plants wilted and died!  I want to try trombochino next - supposed to be more hardy and as a climber won't take up so much space
  • Peas - need to try not planting them next to the onions!  They seem to produce most in spring and summer, don't like too hot or too cold, should I try another variety?
  • Pumpkins - I started them early, expecting Dec rain like last year and then it was just hot and dry, so most withered, some are still going, but no pumpkins so far!
  • Eggplant - I started early, but found that my seed was too old, bought more seeds and finally raised 4 plants, waited for months, and had 4 tine eggplants before the plants died.  Questioning whether its worth the effort.
The lessons were:
  • Plant more tomatoes
  • Start potatoes, eggplant and corn earlier
  • Plant corn before squash
  • Plant lettuce early so its established before the weather gets too hot
  • Water the pumpkins - use golden nuggets as they are nice small plants and might fit into the garden
  • Don't plant peas with onions
Plans for winter
Thinking back over my gardening experience, this is really the first winter that I've planned for as such.  When we were in the Lockyer Valley we didn't have bad frost, so I just kept growing the same things I was growing over summer and I was still getting to know the garden.  And the past two winters that we've been in Nanango, the first year I only just had the garden started, so I didn't grow much besides silverbeet and the second year I was distracted by us buying our milking cow and trying to sell the other house.  So this is my first winter in Nanango in which I am trying to prepare by planting suitable veges that will survive the frost and provide us with fresh veges over winter.

I'm also secretly hoping that we will have our aquaponics greenhouse set up by then, and maybe I'll be a growing some warmer climate plants in there, but not counting on it!

I’m not sure yet the ideal time to start planting for winter.  Its easy for summer, as soon as its warm enough I will try to make a start on tomatoes and eggplant, zucchinis and beans, but for winter the timing is more difficult as I’m not sure when my summer plants will be finished and ready to pull out of the garden.  It really depends on the timing of the first frost, and I don’t have enough local knowledge to know when that will be, so I'm going to start growing from seed over the next few weeks and planting seedlings out among the remaining summer plants and I hope we don't have a crazy heat wave that kills everything!  That way I get to keep harvesting the last of the tomatoes and squash until I have to pull them out.

Winter veges that I want to plant this year include:
  • Kale
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage (hello more sauerkraut!)
  • Mustard greens
  • Silver beet and chard
  • Root veges – carrots, turnip, swede, beetroot, radish
  • Garlic
  • Broad beans
  • Peas
  • Mushrooms
The only things on the list that I've grown successfully before are broccoli, silverbeet, mustard greens and peas, so all the rest will be new.



I'm planning on planting my four beds like this:
  • bed 1 - broad beans and peas
  • bed 2 - onions and herbs
  • bed 3 - brassicaceae (that's where they were last season, but they are self-seeding, so I can't be bothered digging them all up and moving them!) and silver beet
  • bed 4 - root vegetables 
When I was planning for winter, I used a book that my sister in law gave me, called Organic Vegetable Gardening, which is written for Australian conditions.  I used this book to see which veges would grow over winter in my area, how difficult they are to grow and how to start from seed.  Amazingly I found that each vegetable also had a section on how to save the seeds, I can't believe I didn't notice it before, especially as I was complaining that I didn't have a decent book on the subject in my previous post on saving seeds, its great to know that I had a my book shelf the entire time and that it contains so much useful detail, I just need to find time to read what I already own!]

What are you planting this Winter?

Comments

  1. I'm in northern NSW, but on a high, nearly frost free site. So my climate is a bit similar. I don't grow peas in summer at all - way too prone to powdery mildew and warm weather pests. I plant them from April/May through to July, aim to have them coming out as the beans go in. I had a hard time with zucchini this year too - La Nina years are hard for zucchini. My trombochino did brilliantly. My winter garden is actually better for variety than my summer one (but I have a frost free site remember). I plant a big variety of leafies, including salad greens, spinach, silver beet, radicchio, kale (a couple of kinds), chinese cabbages (couple of kinds), cauliflower, broccoli, coriander, parsley, celery, celeriac, leeks. Winter is onion and garlic season, and parsnip, turnip (but I don't like turnips much), beetroot, carrots. And then the fruiting annuals - peas, snow peas, and broad beans. I start planting them all as seed now, and aim to raise them to advanced seedlings in pots over the next couple of months, planting out as space becomes available. (And, I can also get cherry tomatoes through most of the winter. If you can find a frost free spot, worth giving them a go.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up here in the tropics we can only grow the normal types of vegetables in our winter, which is really the dry season as opposed to the wet season. I have also looked at trombochino as an alternative to zuchini, it will be interesting to see how yours goes. I planted some greens out in seedling pots, but it never stops raining long enough to get them into the ground. I think, as Linda mentioned, during La Nina years we have an extended wet season, so need to think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing that you have issues with Zucchini (Courgettes) - it's one of the plants you can really count on here. In fact it really becomes a pest if you have more than one of them in the garden...the fruits keep piling up and you're forced to abandon them on random people's doorsteps ;)

    Great round-up of your growing year Liz! And it's fascinating to see some of the differences in gardening styles between us. The use of your shade feature in particular.

    Have you considered forfeiting some of your cold-weather crops and going for others that like the heat? I'd LOVE to be able to grow some things outdoors; for example: Tomatillo, Cayenne Peppers, Sweet peppers, Aubergine (which you're working on), Watermelon, Peaches, Avocados and Grapes. I'll bet all would do well in your climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I have been meaning to do a similiar one, to remind myself of some things come next Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems we are on the same wave length as I have been out planting today in prepartion for Winter crops. Like you I had dramas with cucurbits, and like Linda my garden is morw productive from now till the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the comments, its interesting to hear about different climates and how we all work with them to grow what we can.

    Tanya, unfortunately I have a temperate (frosty) winter and a sub-tropical summer here, so I need to switch to the cold climate plants over winter. Actually I'm quite excited about trying some new ones this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all your comments, suggestions and questions, but I don't always get time to reply right away. If you need me to reply personally to a question, please leave your email address in the comment or in your profile, or email me directly on eight.acres.liz at gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken tractor guest post

Sign up for my weekly email updates here , you will find out more about chickens, soap and our farmlife, straight to your inbox, never miss a post!  New soap website and shop opening soon.... Tanya from Lovely Greens invited me to write a guest post on chicken tractors for her blog.  I can't believe how many page views I get for chicken tractors, they seem to be a real area of interest and I hope that the information on my blog has helped people.  I find that when I use something everyday, I forget the details that other people may not be aware of, so in this post for Tanya, I tried to just write everything I could think of that I haven't covered in previous posts.  I tried to explain everything we do and why, so that people in other locations and situations can figure out how best to use chicken tractors with their own chickens. The dogs like to hang out behind the chicken tractors and eat chicken poo.  Dogs are gross! If you want to read more about chicken tractor

The new Eight Acres website is live!

Very soon this blogspot address will automatically redirect to the new Eight Acres site, but in the meantime, you can check it out here .  You will find all my soaps, ebooks and beeswax/honey products there, as well as the blog (needs a tidy up, but its all there!).  I will be gradually updating all my social media links and updating and sharing blog posts over the next few months.  I'm very excited to share this new website with you!

Garden Update - July 2013

This month I'm joining the Garden Share Collective , which was started last month by Lizzie from Strayed from the Table , to allow vege gardeners to share their successes and failures and generally encourage everyone to grow more of their own food organically.  This first month, I'll give a detailed update on everything that's growing in my garden, for anyone who hasn't been following for long.  I'll do my normal farm update on Tuesday as well. If you've just joined me, welcome to my vege garden.  I recently wrote about gardening in our sub-tropical climate , so if you're wondering about the huge shade structure, that's for protecting the garden during our hot, humid summers.  At the moment though, the garden is full of brassicas, which grow best here in winter, and are suitably frost-proof.  The garden is about 12 m long by 5 m wide, and surrounded in chicken mesh to keep out the chickens and the bandicoots.  The garden has spilled out around the edg